Assistant Finance Manager
Location: Brighton, UK
Salary & Package: £26k-32k depending on experience
Full-time (or 80% FTE flexi-working for right candidate)
Who we are
Wasafiri is a values-based consultancy and institute helping leaders and organisations tackle some of the world’s toughest challenges. Established in 2010 by four development professionals, we are a vibrant and growing organisation motivated by the opportunity to help leaders and institutions build a more effective response to a broad range of complex problems such as food systems, youth entrepreneurship, inequality, and economic development. The people of Wasafiri are brought together for their adventurous spirit, understanding of complex problems and track record of delivering change. We operate from offices in the UK, USA and Kenya and are currently delivering work in over 10 countries, with clients from across the public and private sectors
About the role
This is an exciting role within a small team with the opportunity to have exposure to all financial aspect of fast growing and dynamic business. We are in search of an assistant finance manager, who will support the efficient and effective financial systems in the business and manage the coordination for some of our projects.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Management of payroll, including PAYE and other HR obligations
- Management of banking and payment systems
- Preparation of month end journals, accruals and prepayments
- Reconciliation of bank accounts and company cards
- Reconciliation of balance sheet control accounts.
- VAT returns
- Preparation of statutory accounts
Finance Management for Projects
- Act as a Project Coordinator for projects as required
- Manage finances for projects: cash advances, timesheets, expenses, invoices.
- Review project finance reports to ensure costs do not go overbudget
- Support business development team in providing compliance documents for proposals
- Due diligence of contractors
- Booking travel and other logistical requirements for project teams
- Support staff and consultants with IT system issues
- Office Management
- UK event logistics
- Providing general administrative support as needed
Who we are looking for
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Financial management – The ideal candidate will be a part-qualified accountant (ACCA/ACA/CIMA) or qualified through experience. They will have previous experience within an assistant accountant or management accountant role and comfortable with financial management tasks such as, payroll, accruals, prepayments and bank reconciliation.
- IT skills – Strong excel skills (e.g. Pivots, lookups) and experience using accounting packages. Experience with full Microsoft office package; Word, PowerPoint and OneNote.
- Working Style – Can self-manage conflicting priorities and be able to work in a fast moving and changing environment. They will be a proactive problem solver who seeks continuous improvement to the quality and efficiency of Wasafiri’s financial management.
- Strong people management and communication skills – High quality communication and comfortable supporting staff and consultants working remotely around the world
- Willingness to provide general administrative support – Being part of a small team this role will require taking on various ad hoc administrative tasks. You will be someone willing to step out of your comfort zone at times in order to support with elements such as travel logistics, event organisation, basic project coordination.
DESIRABLE SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Familiarity with Wasafiri’s established systems – Wasafiri uses Xero, Expensify, Capsule and Mail chimp. Familiarity with these systems would be an advantage
- International financial management – Despite being an SME, Wasafiri is a very international business with subsidiaries in Kenya and the USA. Familiarity with the needs and demands of an international business would be beneficial.
- Understanding of consulting businesses or the development sector – Previous experience of managing finances and compliance issues within similar contexts would be an advantage.
The role is full-time, but for the right candidate could be managed as at 80% FTE or similar.
The role is based in Brighton and Hove (near Hove station).
The role will be line managed by the Finance and Compliance Manager.
Compensation & Benefits
The position comes with an attractive compensation package based on skills and experience. This will be a permanent position, with 3-month trial period and then annual review process to ensure performance and remuneration is acceptable to both parties. Based on the above, we anticipate a salary package worth between £26,000 and £32,000.
Submission: To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to Wasafiri’s Finance Manager Stuart Dallaway at Stuart@Wasafirihub.com. Please include references, although these will only be contacted with permission. Feel free to get in touch if you require more information about the role.
Closing date for applications: 14th July. We hope the candidate will be in place by 1st August but depending on the candidate’s notice period this would be negotiable.