We are recruiting for a Regional Operations Manager – East Africa
Read on for the full Terms of Reference and how to apply.
WHO WE ARE
Wasafiri is a consultancy and institute helping leaders and organisations tackle some of the world’s toughest challenges. Established in 2010 by four African and Western development professionals, we are a vibrant and growing organisation motivated by the opportunity to help leaders and institutions build a more effective response to a broad range of complex problems such as food systems, youth entrepreneurship, inequality, and economic development. The people of Wasafiri are brought together for their adventurous spirit, understanding of complex problems and track record of delivering change.
Within East Africa, we focus on two primary portfolios of work:
1) working to understand and address drivers of conflict and instability in the region; and
2) working to support food systems and inclusive growth.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Regional Operations Manager (ROM) will have both project-specific and more general corporate-level responsibilities. In terms of project-specific responsibilities, the ROM will support a portfolio of projects based in East Africa, working closely with the project teams, including the Project Directors (PD), Team Leaders (TL), Research Managers (RM) and Project Coordinators (PC), to provide overall operation, risk and financial support to Wasafiri projects and ensure donor compliance with operational, risk and financial processes. In terms of corporate-level responsibilities, the ROM will lead the East African office’s health, safety and security (HS&S) policies and procedures and ensure that our operations are compliant with the major donors and clients funding Wasafiri work. More detail on the ROM’s responsibilities are outlined in the attached.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for the candidate to demonstrate a proven track record with the following essential professional skills and experience:
- Excellent project management and operational experience: Candidate must have at least 7 years of experience managing complex projects and initiatives, particularly in Africa, including related to security management and field movement management.
- Proven business and network record: Demonstration of existing networks with security operators at national and sub-national levels in Kenya will be highly considered, as well as a broad understanding of the local contexts in which Wasafiri works.
- Proven track record on operations: Demonstration of experience in managing large scale movements in hostile and difficult environments.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: Strong written and oral communication skills in both English and Kiswahili is essential
- Strong knowledge of donor compliance: Knowledge of donor (DFID and/or USAID at minimum) policies and regulations required. Interview will include questions related to donor compliance.
The following are desirable skills and experience:
- Consulting experience: Experience working within or with a commercial consultancy.
- Living and working in East Africa: Ideally with the right to live and work in Kenya.
The successful candidate that will thrive with the role in Wasafiri will be able to describe the following style and approach with how they work:
- Excited to be in an entrepreneurial environment: A willingness to be flexible in the role, do what it takes to get the job done; comfortable negotiating with senior clients, and willing to, when needed, get stuck in with basic tasks.
- Proactivity and autonomy: Values collaboration, relationships and high-quality delivery. The role requires a proactive and collaborative style, and an ability to work independently.
Further details on the role are in the job description
We plan for the role to be full-time and based in Nairobi. Some travel may be required. Wasafiri also has offices in Brighton, UK and Asheville, USA
Compensation & Benefits
The position comes with an attractive compensation package based on skills and experience. This will be a permanent position, with 3-month trial period and then annual review process to ensure performance and remuneration is acceptable to both parties. Salary is negotiable based on experience, broadly in the range USD 40,000-50,000 p.a.
Submission: To apply for the post, please complete application form and submit a max 3-page CV.
Please note: We will only be accepting completed applications, CVs alone will be discarded. Submit applications and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: Midnight EAT 30th May 2020.
We will be reviewing applications as they arrive and will appoint once a suitable candidate is identified, early applications preferred. Late applications may be considered.