Wasafiri is a consultancy and institute helping leaders and organisations tackle some of the world’s toughest challenges. Established in 2010 by four African and Western development professionals, we are a vibrant and growing organisation motivated by the opportunity to help leaders and institutions build a more effective response to a broad range of complex problems such as food systems, youth entrepreneurship, violent extremism, and economic development. The people of Wasafiri are brought together for their adventurous spirit, understanding of complex problems and track record of delivering change.
Under the Conflict Portfolio, Wasafiri conducts in-depth research and strategic learning to determine the local dynamics of conflict, governance and violent extremism in support of policy and community engagement programmes across East Africa. At present, the Conflict Portfolio’s work focuses on Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania and Mozambique.
Who we are looking for
We are seeking to expand our roster of consultant Team Leaders to support projects within our Conflict Portfolio. The consultants will be engaged on a need basis in selected areas across Kenya and potentially the wider East Africa region.
A demonstrable track record in leading, designing and managing research-based projects on conflict, CVE and governance within the region, as well as managing relationships with clients and research teams is necessary. Team Leads must also have excellent writing skills and be comfortable presenting to varied audiences. Experience with quantitative as well as qualitative research methods will be considered an asset.
You should understand what it takes to deliver a professional product, operate with integrity, manage yourself proactively and build strong relationships with clients, core project staff and wider team members and project stakeholders.
- Ability to design research projects, including mixed-method and innovative approaches, and train team members.
- Comfortable with liaising with project clients.
- Ability to lead small to medium sized research teams
- Ability to lead analysis of data, in collaboration with the wider team.
- Excellent competence in producing high quality written products.
- Confidence in presenting project and research findings to mixed audiences.
- Ability to develop budgets and oversee project expenditure.
- Experience with running projects in complex and high-risk areas.
Research Team Leads will be required to carry out extended field visits in the project counties. The key tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Design research projects, including mixed-method and innovative approaches, with strong methodological rigour, ethical consideration and conflict sensitivity.
- Liaise with the project clients and maintain regular and positive communications on project approach, progress and outcomes, including proactively soliciting their inputs.
- Lead small to medium sized research teams, which may include a diverse combination of a project director, technical advisors, a research manager and field researchers.
- Lead analysis of data following Wasafiri’s systems-based approach, in collaboration with the wider team.
- Producing excellent quality written products that are highly analytical whilst remaining accessible to the key target audience(s).
- Present project and research findings to mixed audiences which may include the client, Kenyan/regional government representatives, international donor/governmental agencies, other researchers and analysts in the sector and community members.
- Develop the budget, oversee and plan project expenditure.
- Run projects in complex and high-risk areas, responding to or mitigating against potential to actual security risks for the research team and research participants.
To apply for this post please send a CV, cover letter, writing sample (original, unedited work), and two references to the Portfolio Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to get in touch if you require more information about the role.
Initial closing date: February 14, 2020.
We will be reviewing applications as they arrive and will appoint suitable candidates as they are identified. This is a rolling application process for future work as well.
There will be a two-step interview process and we aim to conduct interviews on a rolling basis.